1. To promote and work toward quality education: Parents can promote quality education by maintaining close communication with teachers and staff, and by acquainting themselves with the school setting. This communication can be accomplished through informal or scheduled meetings with teachers and the administration.
2. To promote parent/teacher communication: Parents and teachers are encouraged to participate in PTO meetings. The PTO encourages parent participation at school as a way of becoming acquainted with the staff and the surroundings. Parents are welcome and encouraged to visit Luther at any time. Meaningful communication is enhanced when parents are familiar with the school personnel and setting. The PTO also coordinates a parent volunteer program under the direction of staff members.
3. To provide programs that support/enhance the curriculum: Assemblies, speakers, print art in classrooms, special equipment, various classroom supplies, staff recognition, helping towards the cost of field trips, sponsoring various class level activities. These are some of the ways the PTO meets this goal.
4. To promote and organize parent/teacher/student activities: Back to School night, Open House, Luther Loyalty Day, Bookfairs, 5TH Grade Bowling, 5th Grade end of the year activity, Luther’s end of the year all school activity, are examples of this type of activity.
5. To raise funds: Fund raising activities include: fall fund raiser, book fair, market day, basket raffle, and school pictures. Also Pick and Save will make a donation to the PTO if you designate the contribution go to Luther Elementary School at the Pick and Save service desk. The PTO collects Betty Crocker Box Tops, Milk Moola points and ink cartridges. All of these can be deposited in the Luther IMC. The SCRIP program allows families to buy gift cards/certificates at face value. The PTO purchases the cards at a discounted price and thus makes a profit. All the money raised through fundraisers goes directly back into the school for various programs and activities.
PTO: A LINK BETWEEN HOME AND SCHOOL
The PTO works closely with the principal and teachers as a liaison between home and school. Increased involvement by parents helps to ensure successful education of our children. The principal and staff are dedicated to providing our children with a positive, nurturing environment in which students can obtain a high quality education.
Parents are encouraged to get to know their child’s school and teacher. Feel free to stop by your child’s classroom to see his/her teacher before or after school. Teachers are usually in the building before school from 7:30-8:00 a.m. and after school from 3:00-3:45 p.m. Teachers may be contacted in advance if a parent wishes to observe the class in progress. A message can be left with the office staff or on voice mail for a teacher to return a call. Members of the staff welcome casual visits from parents and hope parents will stop by when a concern arises. Specific concerns can best be addressed by bringing them first to the attention of staff members involved and later discussed with administration, if necessary.
Parents are always welcome to join their children for lunch and to attend assemblies. When visiting school, please check in at the office upon arrival.