371 School-Sponsored Student Organizations
BOARD POLICY 371
371 - School-Student Student Organizations
Student clubs and organizations shall be recognized as school-sponsored organizations if they are authorized and approved by the building principal, the Superintendent or his/her designee, advised or sponsored by school personnel, composed completely of current student body members, and must meet at school except with permission of the building principal. These organizations are recognized as part of the total educational program of the District.
In order to be approved for organization and operation in the district, each club/organization shall meet the following conditions plus conditions deemed appropriate by the approving building principal:
1. shall be available to all students on a non-discriminatory basis;
2. shall not discriminate or advocate discrimination in the conduct of its activities on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation or physical, mental, emotional, or learning disability, or handicap,
3. shall not, as a condition of membership, exclude membership in any other organization/clubs;
4. shall be under the supervision of an approved faculty sponsor or advisor prior to engaging in club or organization activities;
5. shall comply with all school rules, administrative regulations and Board of Education policies;
6. shall exist for purposes consistent with the educational philosophy and goals of the school district, and
7. shall not engage in any dangerous practice.
A list of approved school-sponsored organizations shall be available for public review.
School club or organization meetings, including field trips, and off-site meetings, are subject to all rules and policies as adopted by the School Board. Anytime a school club or organization fails to uphold the stated school club or organization goals and objectives, or is in violation of District rules or policies, the school club or organization may be disbanded by the principal, the Superintendent, or his/her designee.
The District does not discriminate against students in areas of programs, services or facilities on any basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Discrimination complaints shall be processed in accordance with established procedures.
Cross Ref.: Board Policy 112 - Discrimination
Board Policy 373 - Social Events
Board Policy 662.1 - School-Sponsored Student Organization Funds Management
Approved: September 28, 1997
Revised: April 21, 2005
Reviewed: February 1, 2006