371.1 Meetings of Student Groups Which Are Not School-Sponsored Student Organizations
BOARD POLICY 371.1
371.1 - Meetings of Student Groups Which Are Not School-Sponsored Student Organizations
Since the Fort Atkinson School District is the recipient of federal financial assistance and allows non-curriculum-related student groups to meet on school premises students currently enrolled in the Fort Atkinson schools shall be permitted to conduct group meetings on school premises during non-instructional time. Students shall have an equal opportunity to conduct a meeting without discrimination on the basis of religious, political, philosophical, or other content of the speech at such meetings.
Student groups requesting facility usage shall not discriminate with respect to membership against other students on the basis of sex, race, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, religion, physical, mental, emotional or learning disability or handicap.
The following conditions for all non-school-sponsored student group meetings shall be uniformly required by the building principal:
1. The meeting is voluntary and initiated by students.
2. The meeting is not sponsored by the school, the government, or their agents or employees.
3. School employees may be present at religious meetings only in a non-participatory (supervisory) capacity.
4. The meeting does not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities of the school.
5. Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control or regularly attend the activities of student groups.
6. The building principal shall determine the location of the meeting.
7. Only full-time students may apply for use of facilities and participate in these meetings.
8. The requesting students shall show evidence that adequate supervision by an adult staff member will be provided.
9. The student group shall be expected to leave the room in an orderly arrangement.
10. Only hours during the school day that are not designated for instructional purposes are available for these organizations.
Nothing in this policy or these conditions shall be construed to limit the authority of the school, or employees, to maintain order and discipline on school premises, to protect the well-being of students and employees, and to assure that attendance of students at meetings is voluntary.
In affording student groups an opportunity to meet, the Board of Education is merely making its physical facilities available, nothing more.
The District does not discriminate against students in areas of programs, services or facilities on any basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Discrimination complaints shall be processed in accordance with established procedures.
Legal Ref.: Wis. Stats. 115.01(2)
Wis. Stats. 115.28(2)
Wis. Stats. 118.13
Title VIII of Public Law 98-377
Equal Access Act
Article I-Section 14 & 24
Article X-Section 3
Cross Ref.: Board Policy 112 - Discrimination
Board Policy 373 - Social Events
Approved: April 21, 2005
Reviewed: February 1, 2006