AR 830 Use of School Facilities
Administrative Rule 830
AR830 - Use of School Facilities
The Board accepts the responsibility for making the public school facilities available to the community for appropriate activities which do not infringe upon or interfere with the conduct and best interest of the school system.
Any activity which could cause damage to buildings, property or individuals is prohibited in District owned buildings or on District owned land. The following Board approved administrative regulations shall be followed concerning the use of school facilities.
Since use of school facilities does result in additional operational costs to the District, a fee schedule has been established to recover appropriate expenses and all parties requesting the use of District facilities will uniformly be assessed these fees. It is the Board’s intention to encourage the use of District facilities by the District’s students, parents and employees for functions directly related to educational processes and activities.
Procedure for Requesting Use of School Facilities:
1. Complete an “Application for Use of School Facilities” form. Applications are available in each school office.
2. Make a check payable to the “School District of Fort Atkinson” in an amount of $50.00 for security deposit. In the event that keys are distributed, and additional $50.00 per key deposit will be required. All deposits are refundable after the scheduled event provided the facilities are found in proper condition and, if applicable, keys are returned. These deposits are above and beyond any usage fees assessed.
3. Return the completed application to the main office of the facility to be used. A minimum of ten days notice is required.
4. A copy of the form will be returned stating terms of approval or denial.
5. Upon receipt of an approved facility use request, payment of the required security deposit(s), and appropriate fees (see schedule attached) are due prior to use or issuance of keys.
6. Any changes to the rental application must be communicated in writing to the principal or designee prior to the event.
Fees for use of school facilities are designed to recover direct expenses incurred by the District and to encourage use of facilities according to the listing below. The fees listed are guidelines for each daily event, however the site administrator may adjust these as they deem necessary.
Group 1: School District of Fort Atkinson and District sponsored activities, organizations devoted to community interest or child welfare based in the geographic area of the School District of Fort Atkinson, incidental use by District citizens or employees, and others as deemed appropriate by the building administration.
Group 2: Fraternal organizations, non-civic groups operating for the benefit of a restricted group, local groups making a significant profit from the event(s), and groups based outside the School District of Fort Atkinson.
Facility to be used:
Elem. Multipurpose Room
M.S. Large Group Room
M.S. Small Gym
M.S. Performance Gym
M.S. Locker Rooms
H.S. Small Gym
H.S. Performance Gym
H.S. Locker Rooms
H.S. Baseball/Softball Fields**
50 per game per field
H.S. Baseball/Softball Concession Stand
H.S. Tennis Court
*Special conditions. Please refer to section on fees and staffing needs (E2).
**or $80 per game per field – includes the use of dragging machine ($200 deposit), chalk, scoreboard, and diamond dry to be used on District fields.
General Rules and Regulations for Use of School District Facilities:
A. Use of Facilities:
1. The School District of Fort Atkinson reserves the right to deny use of facility with or without a fee to any individual, group, or organization that would compete with school or District programs.
2. In the event a school-sponsored activity is scheduled after the approval of an application, the Board of Education reserves its right of priority. Attempts to establish an alternate meeting place or date will be made.
3. No subleasing of school facilities shall be permitted.
4. There is absolutely no use of alcohol, tobacco products or illicit drugs allowed in District buildings or on District grounds.
5. In the event a prior scheduled District event is longer than anticipated due to unforeseen circumstances, and extends into the time agreed upon for the second party's use, the second party yields use until the school event concludes.
6. All groups making application for use of facilities will be furnished a copy of Administrative Rule 830. Violation of any of these provisions shall constitute grounds for the revocation of the user’s contract and/or refusal of permission to use school facilities at any future time.
7. The School District of Fort Atkinson shall not discriminate on any basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
B. Areas of Use:
1. Certain areas of a school may not be suitable for non-school use. The building principal or designee shall make the final decision regarding such areas.
2. The user will confine their activities to the area(s) specified in the rental application.
1. The user shall be responsible for the conduct and control of both patrons and participants and shall ensure that all federal, state, municipal and School District regulations governing safety are followed.
2. The facility must be left in the same condition as when entered. Users will be held liable for damages and missing contents, and may forfeit future use. Appropriate footwear must be used for gym rentals.
3. When keys are issued to a renting party, securing the building after use is the renting party’s responsibility. Further, at no time should doors be blocked ajar during the term of the renting party’s use.
4. The renting party is responsible for notifying the building administrator or District employee of unsafe, broken, damaged, or out of order equipment.
5. The School District of Fort Atkinson assumes no responsibility or liability for injury to persons or damage to or loss of property from any cause whatsoever during such times as the school premises are used by the applicant. The applicant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the District from any and all claims and actions arising from its use of the school property described in the application, including the payment of attorneys’ fees and costs which may be incurred by the School District of Fort Atkinson in defending any such claims or actions.
6. The applicant shall indemnify the School District of Fort Atkinson for any cost which the District may become liable for due to scheduling conflicts even though the conflict was caused by negligence of the School Board or its agents or employees.
D. Use of Equipment:
1. The user is not to use or operate any School District equipment other than that stipulated in the rental application.
2. Heating and air conditioning systems are preprogrammed according to District specifications. Users are to refrain from tampering with climate control mechanisms.
E. Fees and Staffing Needs:
1. An additional charge for utilities may be imposed at the discretion of the building administrator or designee.
2. The District reserves the right to determine when, who, and how many people (technician, supervisor, or lifeguard) are needed to be present at a rental.
a. If a technician is required in the auditorium, the auditorium technical director shall arrange and hire a technician.
b. If the kitchen needs a supervisor, the head cook will arrange and hire this person(s).
c. When the pools are rented, the renter shall contact the District's pool coordinator. The coordinator will arrange the rental and hire the lifeguard(s).
3. The District reserves the right to schedule the appropriate amount of custodial services. In addition to the scheduled rental fees, users may be asked to pay for custodial time during the course of their event; users will be billed for 15 minutes before and after the event (total 30 minutes) per rental application for set-up/lock-up if custodial assistance is deemed necessary.
Notice of cancellation by a renting group must be submitted to the appropriate building principal or designee at least 24 hours before scheduled use or all fees and deposit may be retained.