Taking good care of yourself and your family during these uncertain and ever-changing times is critical. If you or anyone you know is struggling or having a hard time concerning their mental health please reach out as follows:
If your concern is an emergency, please call 911
For a Mental Health crisis, please call:
- Jefferson County Emergency Mental Health, M-F 7:30 am-5:30 pm at 920-674-3105, weekends and after hours at 920-674-8178
- National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
- Wisconsin HOPELINE text HOPELINE 741741
- For YouthLine, call 877-968-8491 or text TEEN2TEEN to 839863.
- Get Help Now - call 1-866-488-7386, chat online, or text START to 678678
- Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990.
Dealing with grief can manifest in many different ways and at different times throughout our lives. If you are in need of assistance, our counselors and administrators are available to you for help and will get back to you within 24 hours.
What supports are available for students and staff?
We recognize the impact these surreal circumstances are having on all of us. We encourage our students to continue to find and create moments of familiarity and maintain other routines as much as possible, including communicating with friends and staying active. One great and free resource is the My Strength tool for people ages 13 and up. This resource assists with techniques to reduce stress, track your mood, manage depressive or anxious thoughts, access and share inspirations, get help on the go, and explore hundreds of articles and activities. Head to https://mystrength.com/ and use the Access Code: JeffersonCounty to sign-up for free.
School counselors, psychologists, and staff have guidance on supports and resources for supporting both students and staff through this stressful and uncertain time. Here is the SDFA Pupil Services Staff contact information:
Grief and Mental Health Support:
- COVID-19 Specific American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention - includes links to practical info for immediately after a loss, mostly aimed at immediate family
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - includes a hotline and information for youth, other attempt survivors, self-care during COVID-19, and information is also offered in Spanish
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide-includes resources for educators, family, and teens
- Left behind after suicide - Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Medical School
- what teens need to know after a suicide loss- an ebooklet
- The Dougy Center--The National Grief Center for Children and Families
- The National Alliance for Children’s Grief
- Kidshelpline: Supporting A Child Through Grief and Loss
Talking with your student:
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - A Parent Resource: This document provides guidance to parents (and school staff) on how to provide accurate prevention information and facts to students without causing undue alarm. (National Association of School Psychologists and National Association of School Nurses)
- Spanish version
- NASP Website has other languages as well
- Talking With Children: Tips for Caregivers, Parents, and Teachers During Infectious Disease Outbreaks (Focuses on different age levels, parents and caregivers managing their responses)
- CDC Guidance for talking with children
Resources for Educator Wellness
- Professional Self-Care (video and summary) from Coalition to Support Grieving Students
- Nurturing Yourself While You’re Grieving from Center for Loss and Life Transition
Resources for Student Support
- After a Crisis: How Young Children Heal from the Early Trauma Treatment Network, National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- When Bad Things are Happening from Learning for Justice
- What to say to kids when the news is scary from National Public Radio
- CDC Resource on Stress and Coping
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network Resource for Families
- Mental Health Resources for Adolescents and Young Adults
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Find Support Page
- Department of Public Instruction Mental Health and Wellness Support