Welcome to Mrs. Scheuerell's Home Page
About Purdy Elementary School
Check us out on Facebook by searching "Purdy Elementary School"
Parents often ask "What makes Purdy Elementary School a unique or special special school?" Here's a look into what makes Purdy Elementary the place to be:
Presently, Purdy Elementary School is proud to educate approximately 350 students in grades Early Childhood to Fifth Grade and also provides a learning setting for a classroom of 4K Head Start students. Purdy is led by 74 talented and professional employees made up of teachers, secretaries, custodian, lunch coordinators, and support staff, along with MANY different parent volunteers.
Our mission: The School District of Fort Atkinson is committed to delivering the quality opportunities and services each student needs to achieve his or her academic and personal potential.
Driven by the understanding that Purdy Elementary is: A community of staff, students, and parents fostering lifelong learners in a positive, caring and cooperative environment.
Additionally, Purdy Elementary School:
Purdy Elementary Awards:
- is a school within a great, supportive community and part of a progressive and forward thinking school district - The School District of Fort Atkinson!
- employs a staff completely dedicated towards helping all students succeed
- has lower class sizes with two or three class groups per grade level
- demonstrates student test scores that consistently exceed state averages
- uses the Comprehensive Literacy Program with large amounts of time and resources dedicated to literacy instruction--a top priority
- utilizes an ambitious district hands on math curriculum (Everyday Math) and science program (FOSS)
- has over 125 plus volunteers are involved in school activities each year
- includes hands-on art classes utilizing disciplinary literacy, integrated music classes spanning student knowledge about music from basic levels of music appreciation up to rigorous levels of music composition and a physical education program that spotlights an adventure unit series for students to try all types of adventure situations (see our website for cool videos!)
- has an active Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) which supports and funds a number of initiatives including field trips, playground equipment, artist-in-residencies, Breakfast with Santa, a Monster Mash, Family Fun Fling, and so much more
- utilizes the Positive Student Intervention and Supports (PBIS) program to help provide a positive environment which encourages risk-taking, building success and self-confidence through accomplishments and when problems arise help teach students how to behave correctly
- offers an opportunity to be part of the Boys and Girls Club - a great after school option for our students.
- features an annual an artist-in-residence program. These are artists who teach in the school for extended periods of time. Recent artists include:
- 2017-Opera For the Young
- 2016-Chesney Snow: Professional Performer and Beatboxer
- 2015-Brett Daniels: Professional Performer and Recording Artist
- 2014 Tyler Salsbury: Chef in Residence - owner of the Blacksheep Restaurant in Whitewater
- 2013 Aldo Leopold Staff: Naturalist in Residence
- 2012-David Stokes: Naturalist
- 2011-Connie Bier: Mosaic Artist-Mosaic in School
- 2010-Leotha Stanley: Jazz and Gospel Muscian-Concert and Recordings
- 2009-Reynaldo Hernandez: Muralist-Mural in Multi-purpose Room
- 2008-Nick Hockings: Native from Lac du Flambeau Wisconsin- Learning about traditional and modern native life
- places special emphasis on natural and green science-please visit the wetland boardwalk across from school on Main Street. Purdy also has a "Green Team" which features students involved in environmental initiatives and study. Student also learn about our solar voltaic and geothermal systems. Also impressive is our science fair which features student projects which reflects their knowledge level and our District's science process skills.
- The District's Comprehensive Literacy Program was recently awarded 2013 Wisconsin Exemplary Reading Program and recognized by the Wisconsin State Reading Association and the International Reading Association!
- In 2012 Purdy Elementary School was among 72 schools in the United States to receive the US Department of Education National Green Ribbon Award!
- Purdy Elementary has had 4 teachers awarded the prestigious Kohl Fellowship Award - for excellence in education!
As you can see Purdy Elementary School is a great place to learn. If you are interested in more information about our school or school district continue to check other webpages, call me at 920.563.7822, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Leigh Ann Scheuerell