Message from Rick Brietzke, Principal
About Purdy Elementary School
Parents often ask what makes Purdy Elementary School a unique or special special school. Here are a few thoughts based on 25 years of leadership within this learning setting.
Purdy Elementary School has a staff of 65 full and part time employees including teachers, aides, custodians and nutrition staff all dedicated to serving each and every student. Presently, Purdy Elementary School is proud to educate 350 students in grades Early Childhood to Fifth Grade and also provides a learning setting for a classroom of 4K Head Start students.
Important aspects about Purdy Elementary School:
- The school mission is to provide a quality education for all students.
- Purdy Elemenatary School is a school within a great, supportive community and "beacon" school district--The School District of Fort Atkinson.
- A staff completely dedicated towards helping your child succeed.
- Purdy Elementary School is a great place to learn and work.
- Two and three classes per grade level.
- Student test scores which consistently exceed state averages
- Uses the Comprehensive Literacy Program with large amounts of time and resources dedicated to literacy instruction--a top priority!
- The District's Comprehensive Literacy Program was recently awarded 2013 Wisconsin Exemplary Reading Program and recognized by the Wisconsin State Reading Association and the International Reading Association!
- Utilizes an ambitious district hands on math curriculum (Everyday Math) and science program (FOSS)
- Over 125 plus volunteers are involved in school activities each year.
- Art, music and PE are taught by professional, certified teachers featuring an adventure PE program and creative and fun music and art classes (see our website for cool videos!)
- Has an active Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) which supports and funds a number of initiatives including field trips, playground equipment, artist-in-residents, Breakfast with Santa, a Haunted House and Monster Mash, Family Fun Fling, etc.
- Utilizes the Positive Student Intervention and Supports (PBIS) program to help provide a positive environment which encourages risk-taking, building success and self-confidence through accomplishments and when problems arise help teach students how to behave correctly.
- Offers a great place for kids after school---Boys and Girls Club.
- Each year features an artist-in-residence. These are artists who teach in the school for extended periods of time. Recent artists include:
- 2013 Aldo Leopold Staff: Naturalist in Residence
- 2012 David Stokes: Naturalist
- 2011-Connie Bier: Mosaic Artist-Mosaic in School
- 2010-Leotha Stanley: Jazz and Gospel Muscian-Concert and Recordings
- 2009-Reynaldo Hernandez: Muralist-Mural in Multi-purpose Room
- 2008-Nick Hockings: Native from LacduFlameau Wisconsin- Learning about traditional and modern native life
- A special emphasis on natural and green science-please visit the wetland boardwalk across from school on Main Street. Purdy also has a "Green Team" which features students involved in environmental initiatives and study. Student also learn about our solar voltaic and geothermal systems. Also impressive is our science fair which features student projects which reflects their knowledge level and our District's science process skills.
- Purdy Elementary School has had four teachers awarded the prestigious Kohl Fellowship Award.
- In 2012 Purdy Elementary School was among 72 schools in the United States to receive the US Department of Education National Green Ribbon Award.
As you can see Purdy Elementary School is a great place to learn. If you are interested in more information about our school or school district continue to check other webpages or call me at 920.563.7822.
Always Looking Forward!